Are you ready to take your business to the next level? One thing is for sure, if you want to succeed in business, you need a coach. Finding the right coach at the right time can be a game-changer. In this article, I’m going to share three crucial tips to ensure you find the perfect coach for your business journey.
I’ve always been a strong believer in the power of coaching, whether in my business career or in sports. I’ve hired numerous coaches, and there’s a specific experience that stands out and underscores the importance of selecting the right coach. About 15 years ago, I decided to pursue competitive triathlon. I knew I needed a coach to achieve my goals, so I hired a local coach who had already achieved the results I wanted. Initially, our coaching relationship was fantastic, but things took an interesting turn.
About a month and a half into our coaching relationship, we found ourselves competing in the same triathlon. To my surprise, I beat my coach. And in that moment, the coaching stopped. Yes, we still had a coaching relationship after that, but the coaching was not at the level it was before.
This is where I learned a vital lesson. She was an excellent coach, but she didn’t want to coach me to be better than she was. This lesson has stayed with me, and it’s something you should keep in mind when searching for your own business coach.
So, when you decide it’s time to hire a business coach or mentor to take your business to the next level, here are three things to consider:
1. Are They Walking the Walk? The first and most critical factor is to find a coach who is already doing what they are going to coach you to do. There are many coaches out there who talk a big game but don’t practice what they preach. At Complete Game Consulting, one of our key principles is that we lead by example. We’ve tried and tested the strategies we share with our clients, and we’re still actively implementing them. Your coach should embody the success you seek.
2. Teaching Process Over Tactics It’s essential to determine whether your coach is teaching you a repeatable process or just giving you a list of tactics to follow. While tactics are crucial, a good coach will equip you with a process that you can deploy time and time again. This empowers you to adapt and evolve in a rapidly changing business landscape. So, look for a coach who educates you on a process, not just a set of instructions.
3. Coaching You to Surpass Them A great coach should be motivated to help you become better than they are in specific skills or areas. Your coach should not cap your potential at their own level of success. Instead, they should be driven to push you to achieve even greater heights, even if it means you surpass their abilities. This kind of coach will ensure you’re continually growing and improving.
Hiring a business coach is a crucial step on your path to success. However, it’s equally important to invest your time and money wisely in finding the right coach. Look for someone who practices what they preach, focuses on teaching processes, and is committed to seeing you excel beyond their own achievements. When you find a coach who ticks all these boxes, you’ll know you’re on the right track to reaching your business goals.
- Connect with me on LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/andyneary/
- Connect with me on Instagram: instagram.com/andy_neary/
Business is no longer about who you know. Business is about who knows you. In a noisy industry like we’re in gang, you got to get people to know who you are.